In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Lovell Historical Society

The American House, Lovell, ca. 1900

Contributed by Lovell Historical Society
MMN Item 6707 Item Details
The American House, Lovell, ca. 1900
MMN Item 6707 Zoom

Description

The American House, built in 1832, was known as Eagle House, Suncook House and finally, about Civil War times, the name changed to American House. It burned in 1904.

Ms. C.E. Hobbs, longtime Lovell librarian and historian, had written the following on the back of a photo of The American House. "American House- building was started about 1830 and was an inn almost from the start. Known as Eagle House, Suncook House and finally about Civil War times name changed to the American House. It had parlor, bar room, two dining rooms on the first and second floors. The two story ell with the dance hall in upper story -- livery stable."



View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.